Are you struggling with your skin in addition to everything else in 2020? Do you have irritation, redness, rashes, breakouts, or excessive dryness or oiliness? It is likely because your skin is as frustrated as you are by what is going on! Stop all the skin care products. Stop all the complicated steps. Stop all the at-home treatments. When something goes wrong we want to fix it, and with our skin that typically means we do more to it. But if your skin is already irritated then doing more will only increase the irritation. Your skin is not in good enough shape to be able to use or even process all the chemicals you are throwing at it. This creates an unwanted downward spiral, irritation, more products, more irritation! The good news is our skin is remarkably adept at taking care of itself. All you have to do is support it. So for the month of January give your skin the break it needs. It is time for a #RESTOREreset.
Keeping skin care simple, safe, and effective allows your skin to return to a healthy equilibrium. You want to use a few, quality products to meet your skin's basic needs. That might include our Face Wash to wash off the day, the Face Lotion or Face Cream to hydrate for your face, eyes, neck, and chest, the Healing Balm for areas of severe dryness or irritation, our Lip Balm to protect your lips from the cold winter air, and a zinc-based sunscreen. Stop all exfoliation, stop vitamin C serums, eye cream, toners, and chemical sunscreens. Support your skin by asking it to process less, and instead apply just a few, safe ingredients proven to soothe and support healthy skin. Depending on your age it will take 28+ days for your skin to turn over but you will notice improvement on a weekly basis. It will be less red, reactive, and less easy to irritate. Once your skin is resilient again, then you can slowly add in skin treatments and actually see the benefits from them because your skin is now strong enough to respond.
The #RESTOREreset Skin Care Regimen
- Splash your face with lukewarm water.
- Apply our Face Lotion (normal to oily skin) or our Face Cream (normal to dry skin) to your face, neck, chest, and eye area.
- Follow with a zinc-based sunscreen containing at least 10% zinc. I love Ilia Super Serum Skin Tint or On-The-Defense Sunscreen by Eleven VENUS Williams.
- Apply makeup if you desire. Some of my favorite clean options from Credo include RMS Eye Polish, Ilia Limitless Lash Mascara, Kosas Revealer Super Creamy + Brightening Concealer, Kosas Color + Light: Crème, and Westman Atelier Baby Cheeks Blush Stick.
- Apply the Doctor Rogers RESTORE® Lip Balm, as needed, throughout the day.
- Wash your face with our Face Wash
- Moisturize with our Face Lotion or Face Cream according to your skin type.
- Apply our Healing Balm to any dry, irritated, sensitive areas.
After 28 days, if your skin is looking and feeling healthy, the first product to add back is your evening treatment. By this I mean a product that stimulates skin cell turnover. This could be something retinol-based, your prescription tretinoin, or something containing glycolic acid. The treatment step is after you have washed and dried your face and before you apply your moisturizer. Start every other night and pay attention to your skin, and if it seems to become irritated, skip the treatment and just moisturize for a few days before trying again. Don’t push it.
Then, after a week of using the evening treatment without irritation, add in your morning antioxidant to help protect the skin's surface from oxidative damage caused by free radicals and environmental aggressors like UV and pollution. This step takes place after your morning water splash and dry. Apply an antioxidant serum to your face, neck, and chest and follow with moisturizer and sunscreen. You always want to treat your face, neck, and chest as one unit.
To remind yourself that fewer, quality products, used appropriately, allow your skin to recover quickly and beautifully, take a no-makeup selfie on the first day, after 2 weeks, and after 4 weeks to see the RESTORE® difference.